Twitter is a very crucial part of social media marketing strategies for most types of businesses. So I thought I’d let you in on a few hints and tips to Twitter success. Here are six simple steps to consider when trying to writing the perfect tweet.
Find your voice
How people look at you through social media will affect how they see your business, so the tone of your tweets needs to fit your brand values. Your tweets should also reflect the type of audience you are trying to target.
For example, a business selling baby clothing may want to give a soft, friendly tone through the way they communicate, whereas a company providing will writing and estate planning would write in a more formal way.
A simple social media strategy will help you have a clear view of your purpose for being on social media, and finding your voice is an important step towards Twitter success. Nailing your tone, choice of keywords and media items will really add purpose to your tweets.
Keep it short but sweet
Although the character count has grown to 280, it’s still best to keep your tweets short and snappy. 100-150 characters is the ideal length to get across the information you need to, whilst still being easy to read. Get your point across in a concise and impactful way.
Ask questions to create discussion
Use Twitter polls to crate discussion and get your audience thinking. You can directly engage with your followers by writing something slightly controversial or thought-provoking. Here are a few ways you can do so:
- Tap into trending topics – major sporting events, awards season and global news. Ask your followers who should have one that award!
- Discovering customer preference – ask your audience which of your products or services they prefer, or what they would like to see more of on your blog.
- Ask relevant lifestyle questions that relate to your business. Here are some great examples on Twitter’s Business Blog.
- Getting feedback – simply just asking your followers for their opinions could really improve engagement to your Twitter account, and also help your business to grow.
Twitter polls are a brilliant way to improve the communication between you and your customers.
Great quality images are brilliant for increasing engagement, but videos, gifs and memes are way better. They can increase engagement by over 6 times more than a text-based tweet. Invest in rich media to make your business look more professional. Finding the media that works best for your business is something worth investing in.
Other ways to get interactive are by retweeting, quote tweeting and tagging. This is a brilliant practice to do if you are looking to gain more engagement.
Hashtags are important to get right – using the wrong or irrelevant hashtags can make your business on Twitter look silly. But there are plenty of tools to help you determine which hashtags will work best for you, but the most accessible one is this: use your own keywords related to your business and brand. For example, if you have a clothing company, using #fashion would be one to use.
Once you have decided on hashtags you will use on your Twitter, your business will start to become associated with that hashtag. It’s as simple as that. Almost…
- Don’t go crazy with it – just like salt, using too much is never good. When you overload a tweet with hashtags, the integrity of what you have written will be lost. Stick to less than 5 hashtags.
- Do you research – what hashtags are people with similar businesses using?
- Don’t be naïve – your business slogan or event title might not fit into a hashtag. Be smart and use an acronym like #SMM instead of #SocialMediaMarketing.
Let your personality shine
Nothing is as boring as reading a lifeless sales tweet. We know that you will have to create sales posts from time to time, but you can still add some excitement to it. Make your tone and phrasing more inviting to really help your followers become more excited.
For example, I could easily say “Check out my social media packages!” but that is a dull sentence that probably won’t get much traction. However, I could use my personality to transform it into something like “I have social media packages worth celebrating. If you don’t believe me, check them out for yourself!”. This type of tweeting will engage with more people.
By following these steps, you will have the perfect tweets. However, you may be too busy to learn all of this, so I suggest trusting a social media agency like me to do the work for you. Take a look at my packages to find the perfect one for you.
I hope this has helped you to understand more on how to create the perfect posts on Twitter! If you’ve got any other tips or hints, please share with us in the comments.