How the Instagram algorithm works in 2022
The Instagram algorithms have one goal: to make you stay on the app longer by delivering content it believes you will find relevant and interesting.
Instagram says: “We want to make the most of your time, and we believe that using technology to personalise your experience is the best way to do that.” You can tailor your strategy to “hack” what the algorithm is prioritising, to reach more users and build a community of engaged followers.
We’re sharing everything you need to know about the Instagram algorithm in the blog post below.
Instagram algorithms from a user’s perspective
To begin, the Instagram algorithms rely on three key signals:
- Who: Whose posts are you interacting with? If you frequently like or comment on someone’s content, you’re more likely to see their posts in your feed.
- What: What type of content do you engage with? For example, if you love recipes, the algorithm will continue serving that type of content to you.
- When: this considers how often you scroll on the app, so it will pick and choose what to prioritise.
How the Instagram algorithm works in 2022 for feed posts
The Instagram feed algorithm takes into consideration the likelihood of five interactions when deciding how to rank a post on someone’s feed. These are:
- Time spent on the post
- How many likes the post will receive
- How many comments the post will receive
- How many saves the post will receive
- How likely a person is to tap on the profile after seeing the post
The more likely a user is to take an action, the higher that post will appear in their feed. The Instagram algorithm monitors every interaction you make on the app, from the posts you like to who you interact with, in order to serve you content it believes you will interact with.
Keeping this in mind, as you plan your content and captions, ask yourself these questions:
- Is the post likely to be liked or commented on?
- Is this a post someone would save and come back to?
- Does this post include a CTA that will prompt someone to tap on your profile (e.g. “Click the link in my bio”)?
What else can impact feed post ranking on Instagram?
There are some additional factors that can impact where a post lands in someone’s home feed. These include:
- Image or video quality
- Originality (whether the post has already been shared on the app)
- Reported content
How about Instagram Reels?
Reels are currently being heavily promoted by Instagram across the entire app experience. They get twice as much exposure in the Instagram Explore page, making them a major tactic for discovery and growth.
According to Instagram, brands and creators should create Reels that are entertaining, inspiring, or experimental, and use creative tools like text, camera effects, or filters. Reels that will be deprioritised are those that are low-resolution, or are visibly recycled from another app (e.g. TikTok).
The best way to gain an advantage with the Instagram algorithm?
Know your niche and create engaging content — the algorithm will do the rest!
Growing your Instagram account can seem like an uphill battle, but if you follow the right techniques and strategies, you can definitely get more Instagram followers.
For more tailored social media advice for your brand, get in touch.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!